My sister recommended the following action steps to help preserve traditional marriage and strengthen families in the recent issue on same-sex marriage. She wrote:
1. Inform your [Californian / Arizonian / etc.] friends and family of the upcoming vote in November. Educate them on the fact that amending our state constitution, something that is very common in California, will “undo” the Supreme Court’s decision overruling the will of the people. Also, continue to invite people to join our Facebook group.
2. Donate! Even $5 or $10 can make a difference. This effort will take financial participation from everyone who cares about protecting marriage. You can donate online: http://protectmarriage.com/donate.php
3. Become part of the team and volunteer: http://www.protectmarriage.com/jointheteam.php
4. Finally, stay positive. Do not get discouraged by any media reports that the amendment is “losing,” or lacks support. Remember, the exact language we are trying to add to the constitution was passed by Prop. 22 with over 61% of the vote in 2000, and our polls show it currently has the support necessary to pass.
Source: Personal email correspondence.
In this or any public issue, we all take the following four steps:
- Become informed
- Consider personal values and principles
- Take a stand
- Inform and engage friends and family
Do you know someone who has taken a stand on an issue recently? Did you join them? If you disagreed with their opinion, did their action affect your relationship?
I hope we will pray for courage to decide where we stand on the many important issues before us. I know that you can make a positive difference in this world. I know you will receive divine power as you seek to serve those close to you.